Arabesq Noticeboard

News about the bellydance scene in Wales and the west, including events, workshops and more compiled by DJ Andy Roberts in Cardiff, Wales. Send your updates to andy @ arabesq.co.uk

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Shafeek Workshop reviewed

Shafeek with Sue Lloyd and her workshop students

Sue Lloyd looks back on Shafeek's visit to Cardiff:

"On Saturday 28 October I played host to Shafeek Ibrahim, a male bellydancer and teacher from Cairo, now living in East London.

"I had previously attended a Shafeek workshop hosted by Tracey Pye in Bristol and I found Shafeek to be a breath of fresh air.

"He is young, fun, agile and energetic. His choreography was challenging but not impossible. The music was up beat and he put us all at ease. I couldnt wait to get him to Wales.

"I am so glad I booked him when I did. He is one of the rising bellydance stars in the UK today and in demand all over Europe. He will be teaching and performing at Fantasia in December, when no doubt we will catch up with all the gossip!

"Those of you who came to the workshop were probably not sure what to expect. I'm sure many of you were pleasantly surprised, especially if you had never met a male bellydancer before.

"A firm and committed teacher, he wasnt so much strict as encouraging! And we were all enchanted by his charm and his cheerful manner!! He is a very talented dancer and moves so gracefully and with such precision.

"He taught us a choreography to a Nancy Ajram number. It was one that I had choreographed for my improvers earlier this year and that we had danced to at my Hafla in September; so it was very interesting to see how he had interpreted the music.

"Although I asked him to aim it at beginners, the choreography was still a challenge to the more experienced among us, as choreographies often are.


"We learnt some new sequences that we could take away with us and use in our own routines; something that is always valuable.

"The two hours just flew by and we had a lovely group photo session before we left (to appear on Arabesq site soon!)

"I'd like to thank all of you who suppported me and Shafeek and attended the workshop. It's hard work and often nerve racking as you try to fill all the places and hope to break even on expenses!!!

"I hope to be getting Shafeek back in 2007 and I promise that if you come along you will not be disappointed.

"Keep watching
www.arabesq.co.uk for news of up-an-coming workshops, planned for 2007."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home